Australia activates contact tracking application
Australia activates contact tracking application

Australia's Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Paul Kelly, confirmed that the contact tracing application for people with Coronavirus, launched by the federal government, has become fully functional, after all states and territories have approved its use, but has not confirmed whether it has been used. Already or not. The Australian Broadcasting Corporation quoted Professor Kelly as saying that 5.6 million Australians have so far downloaded the (Coved Saif) application.

"I can announce that the application is fully functional, it is ready to be launched, and all states and territories have now approved its use," Kelly said during a briefing on the latest information on the Corona virus in Canberra yesterday. "They have provided information about who will use it in their public health units," he said of state and provincial authorities.

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation quoted Kelly to say, that privacy and data security issues now command all attention, and that all states and territories have agreed to the proposals, which have been identified by the federal government.

In a related context, a few hours after Australia announced the launch of a smart phone application that allows tracking of people infected with the new Coronavirus, it has started to be received by the Australians, and more than a million of them have downloaded it on their phone.

The new COVIDsafe app is designed to speed up tracking of casualties and their contacts if the infection is confirmed.

Despite some privacy concerns, Australia hopes that 40% of the population of about 26 million will download the application, which will allow greater flexibility in dealing with restrictions imposed in the country, drawing inspiration from the Singaporean model and the TraceTogether app.

With 1.13 million Australians downloading the app, Chief Health Officer Damian Murphy said on Monday he was "really excited" about the early popularity of the app.

Government officials intend to expedite the enactment of legislation in Parliament that prohibits the use of data collected from the application for purposes other than tracking people who may be infected.

Officials also promised to announce the source code of the application within two weeks so that independent analysts can better understand how it works and its effects on privacy, and the government promised that data would not be kept for more than 21 days, as it would be erased automatically after this period.

If application users are diagnosed with the virus, they can then download encrypted data records in the app that identify other users who have been close to the infected for 15 minutes or more in the previous three weeks.

By launching this app, the government hopes to be able to safely restart the country's economic wheel. The application will allow to identify the injured faster and thus contain the injuries.

Australia announced that it will resume non-urgent surgeries this week for the first time since 27 March, with growing confidence that hospitals will not be overwhelmed by Covid 19 cases.

Australia has recorded 6,720 HIV infections, including 83 deaths, while 27 others are in critical condition in hospitals on ventilators, according to the latest figures on Monday.